Towns and Villages
Albia, the present county seat of Monroe
County, was first incorporated as a town in 1856, though in the summer of 1845
John Massy surveyed the town site when it was known as Princeton. The place at
present contains a little more than 2,500 population. As we have stated
elsewhere, John Stephenson claimed the quarter section on which the village was
located. He was the first settler in the neighborhood.
The original plat contained but two wards, defined by the alleys running north and south from the Square in the center of the plat.
Joseph B. Teas was Mayor, and Robt. E. Craig was Recorder; Aldermen - East Ward, Joseph H. Halbrook and Samuel Buchanan; West Ward, Samuel Hebrew and Daniel McIntosh.
Mock's and Gray's Additions were included in 1859, and Mason and Koontz's or South Park Addition, was added in 1892 or 1893.
In 1848 the village of Albia was chiefly a grass plat. The public park in the center of the Square was a tangled mass of wild grass and "shoe string" willows. John Marck and family lived in a little frame building on the southeast corner, where the Albia Union office now stands. Then about half way across the Square, on the south side, stood the shanty of Dr. Warrick. On the west were the little sheds occupied by Messrs. Park, Harrow, and Buchanan. On the east were Scott Arnold and the court house, and on the northeast corner was Dan Richardson's.
One block north of the northeast corner of the Square, on the site owned for many years by Dr. Lambert stood the little log jail. Just north of the jail stood the residence of A. C. Barnes.
John Webb was also one of the first settlers of the town, and kept in his house a small quantity of goods.
At the present time the following is nearly a complete list of business firms of Albia:
Anderson & Hollingshead, grocers, east
side of Square; the present firm has been doing business for ten years.
Robb Brothers, grocers, east side of Square; in business for thirty years.
Miss A. C. Young, general merchandise, east side of Square; in business for five years.
D. A. Maiken, general merchandise, east side of Square; in business eight years.
W. K. Hardenbrook, harness, buggies, etc., east side of Square; in business twenty two years.
North Side square, Albia, Iowa
John E. Waugh, meat market, east side of
Square; in business two years.
S. K. Smith, barber, east side of Square; in business ten years.
Chas. Claver, second hand goods, east side of Square; in business twelve years.
Fred Stucky, shoemaker, east side of Square; in business thirty years.
W. W. Menach, barber, Benton Street; in business thirty years.
Anderson & Gray, marble dealers, Benton
Street; in business two years.
I. S. Jones, blacksmith, Benton Street; in business thirty one years.
Henry Johnson, meat market, Benton Street; in business seventeen years.
Samuel T. Craig, grocer, Benton Street; in business fifteen years.
J. O. Varner, grocer, Benton Street; in business ten years.
East Side Square, Albia, Iowa
E. Dougherty & Son, furniture and
undertaking, north east corner of Square; in business twenty three years.
J. T. Arnold, Star Laundry, Main Street; in business one and one half years.
R. Simpson, pumps, coal, and grain, Main Street; in business many years.
Chas. Olson, general repairing and upholstering, Main Street; in business twelve years.
Electric Light and Power Company, A. R. Jackson, proprietor.
Royal A. Adams, blacksmith and implements,
Main Street. (See further mention near end of this volume.)
O. C. Palmer, livery, Jefferson Street; in business four years.
L. A. McCreary, livery and feed, Jefferson Street, in business sixteen years.
T. C. Ballew, lumber, Jefferson Street; in business five years.
West Side Square, Albia, Iowa
Jas. Dyson, restaurant, Jefferson Street; in
business six months.
Harry Smith, Eureka Chop House, Wall Street; in business three years.
Thomas & Rosser, grocers, Wall Street; in business ten years.
N. A. Anderson, pumps and general repairing, Wall Street; in business five years. (See further mention near end of this volume.)
Mark M. Baker, proprietor, New Cramer Hotel;
in business six months.
S. S. Pill, restaurant, Wall Street, in business two years.
Preston & Israel, merchant tailors; in business one year.
Scott & Milligan, barbers; in business one year.
Tobey & Anderson, cigar manufacturers; in business three years.
W. A. Alford, merchant tailor; in business one and one half years.
G. W. Hartsuck, meat market; in business four years.
J. Roberts, druggist, north side of Square; in business five years.
D. C. Johnson, millinery and ladies' furnishing goods, north side of Square; in business five years.
Cal Koontz, jeweler, north side of Square; in business twenty one years.
C. L. Nelson, insurance, north side of Square; in business thirty years.
Skean & Zook, furniture and undertaking, north side of Square; in business five years.
E. Skean, grocer, north side of Square; in business fourteen years.
F. E. Dawson, photographer, north side of Square; in business two years.
Chris. Rudd, baker and restaurant, Wall Street.
Abe Goodman, clothier, north side of Square; in business eight years.
W. H. Kreger, bakery, north side of Square; in business four years.
C. S. Barger, hardware, north side of Square; in business two years.
M. W. duncan, books and stationery, north side of Square; in business nine and one half years.
J. C. Morrison, druggist, north side of Square; in business twenty nine years.
G. N. Ewers, boots and shoes; present business two years.
Henry Varner, harness maker, south side of Square; in business one year.
Joseph McInnis, grocer, south side of Square; in present business one year.
Curtis Mock, Vienna Bakery, south side of
Square; in business two months.
R. O. Cramer, dry goods, south side of Square; in business twenty nine years.
G. W. Cramer, merchant tailor, south side of Square; in business forty two years.
L. B. Fuller, manager South Side Book Store; in business twelve years.
S. M. Tovrea, grocer, south side of Square; in business four and one half years. (See further mention near the end of this volume.)
South Side Square, Albia, Iowa
Acheson & Kelly, grocers, south side of
Square; in business four years.
S. S. Smith, boots and shoes, south side of Square; in business twenty six years.
J. H. Love, Jr., dry goods, west side of Square; in business ten years.
Wilkin Brothers, grocers, west side of Square; in business nine years.
Ramsay Realty Company, northwest corner of
Square; in business six months.
Mrs. L. Buffon, millinery, west side of Square; in business twelve years.
Mrs. Mary Clark, combination store, millinery, general merchandise, wood, fuel, fence posts, and material for coal mines.
Prizer Clothing Company, Odd Fellows' Temple, west side of Square; in business three years. (See additional mention near end of this volume.)
H. A. Prizer & Brother, dry goods, Odd Fellows' Temple; in business six years.
Paulline & Son, tailors, Odd Fellows' Temple, basement; in business one and one half years.
G. R. Carden & Company, druggist, west side of Square; in business three years.
Globe Clothing House, Sol. Loeb, proprietor, west side Square; in business one year.
J. T. Porter, cigar maker, west side of Square; in business four years;
Jas. Pheney, grocer, west side of Square; in business thirty seven years.
W. N. Moon & Son, general merchandise, west side of Square; in business twenty nine years.
Max Loeb, clothier, west side of Square; in business twenty eight years.
J. T. Rowe & Son, carpenters, Benton Street; in business twenty years.
Walter Cokingham, wagon maker, Benton Street; in business twenty seven years.
Sparks & Rowe, blacksmiths, Benton Street; in business twenty six years.
Tom Teas, blacksmith, Benton Street; in business nineteen years.
Clark Brothers, implements, Benton Street; in business twenty one years. (See further mention near the end of this volume.)
E. H. Wilson, novelty store, Benton Street; in business four months.
Miss C. Hamilton, millinery, Benton Street; in business six months.
Jas. Stewart, feed store, Main Street; in business six months.
Wilson Brothers, livery and feed, Main
Street; in business six months.
Saunders & Warner, blacksmiths, Main Street; in business four years.
Hobson Brothers, lumber; in business two years.
W. E. Whited, livery; in business ten years.
S. Eaton, barber, southwest corner of Square; in business six months.
Wm. Peppers, implements; in business twenty two years.
Albia State Bank, south side of Square; in business six years.
First National Bank, northwest corner of Square; in business twenty five years.
Albia Roller Mills, M. M. Edward, proprietor.
Commercial Hotel, one block south of southwest corner of Square; J. M. Titus, proprietor.
J. R. Wallace, Diamond Laundry, near Central Depot; lately burned out.
The Semi-Weekly Union, southeast corner of Square; A. R. Barnes, publisher and proprietor.
The Progress-Defender, Wall Street; M. M. Hinton, publisher and proprietor.
The News, west side of Square; Belvel & Crenshaw, publishers and proprietors.
The Messenger Publishing Company, west side of Square.
Monroe County Republican, daily and weekly, Benton Street; Sebille & Mendal, publishers and proprietors.
L. E. Lambert, jeweler; in business six year.
Cottage Hotel, at C., B. & Q. depot; Wm. Campbell, proprietor.
Byerly Hotel, A. J. Byerley, proprietor.
Albia Bicycle Manufacturing Company, Heiserman & Anderson, proprietors; in business one year. (See further mention near end of this volume.)
The town of Avery was established when the C., B. & Q. Railway was put through, in 1868. The present population is about 400, but the population varies according to the condition of the mines, as it is strictly a mining town. The town is five or
six miles east of Albia, on the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy
At present the place contains the following named business firms:
Dr. J. R. Cady, physician; eight years residence.
Dr. Montgomery, physician; eleven years residence.
Dr. A. M. Tait, physician; five years residence.
Smoky Hollow Coal Company, eleven years in business.
Central Coal Company, just opening up.
Street in Avery looking west.
W. H. Tedrow, lawyer and insurance; four
years in business.
T. L. Evans, general merchandise; eight years in business.
Hotel, Mrs. Ella Morgan.
J. G. Thayer, notary public.
A. L. Criddlebaugh, barber.
John Melcher, meat market; in business six months.
L. R. Pearson, general merchandise, in business sixteen years.
The town also contains a Methodist Church
organization and church edifice.
In the vicinity of Avery are situated the Chisholm Mines. They are now worked out, and the village of Chisholm will of course disappear with the exhaustion of the coal supply. However, a new coal enterprise has just gotten itself on foot in the vicinity, which promises to develop into an extensive coal plant. It is known as the Central Coal Company, and its headquarters are at Avery. The mines are on the Iowa Central Railway, and the camp will be named Lockman, in honor of Thos. D. Lockman, of the First National Bank of Albia. The company has control of about six hundred acres of coal lands, underlaid by a vein of coal averaging four feet in thickness. The mines will be operated by means of a "slope." Wm. Evans is president of the company, Enoch Evans treasurer, and Thos. L. Evans secretary. The company began operation in 1896.
In about the year 1870 Avery was in the zenith of her prosperity. The mines were the most extensive of an in the county, and the miners made good wages.
They formed an association and built the Miners' Institute - a sort of epitomized Tammany Hall. The building is still used as a public hall, but the organization has gone down. It was a social club, and had for its object the educational and social improvement of the miners and their families. The club had a good library, and the "Institute" was doubtless beneficial to the miners.
This lately christened village lies one and
three fourths miles southeast of Avery. The locality is also known as
"Smoky Hollow." Here the Smoky Hollow Coal Company operate
their mines. The company's mines have a capacity of about 1000 tons of coal
daily. J. L. Evans is at the head of the concern, and the company has been in
business eleven years. Faley Hynes acts as superintendent of the mine, and P. H.
Hynes is secretary. The mines are entered by two "slopes," and
ventilation is supplied by means of fans.
Hynes City contains a population of from 250 to 300 people. The town was projected in 1892, when six houses were built by John T. Evans, and the place increased rapidly.
In 1894 the town contained forty more houses;
then the town was formally christened by Mr. Horace Barnes, of the Albia Union.
The place was named in honor of P. H. Hynes, secretary of the Smoky Hollow Coal
Company and manager of the Avery Supply Company. His brother, Faley Hynes, it is
understood, comes in as a joint sharer of the honor.
About forty rods east of Hynes City is located the Famous Coal Mines, or Nos. 1 and 2, of the Smoky Hollow Coal Company. Hynes City has a large store in its midst, owned by the Avery Supply Company; and also a school house. In addition to these, there is soon to be established a blacksmith shop and post office.
In 1889, when the Marion and Kansas City
Division of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway was completed through
Monroe County, a side track was put in, near Soap Creek, and about nine miles
southeast of Albia. The stopping place was called Soap Creek Siding, and as soon
as Ira Phillips and E. I. Foster began to establish a coal plant in the
vicinity, trains began to stop regularly; but a station had already been
established at Brompton, about two miles east of Foster, where the railroad
company erected a tank and constructed a large reservoir.
By the time Mr. Phillips had gotten the mine in operation, which went by the name of the Soap Creek Coal Company, several buildings had gone up, erected by the coal company. A large boarding house and another equally large store building were erected among the first by the Ottumwa Supply Company, an auxiliary of the coal company. The store was conducted as a "company store," issuing "scrip" to the miners instead of currency. This "scrip" was emitted in this way: The coal company paid its employees once a month in currency. If a miner needed goods or provisions before pay day, and had no credit with merchants or cash with which to buy, the coal company would issue him an amount of "scrip," the amount depending on the account in his favor, against the company, for his labor. This "scrip" was current at the company store, in exchange for merchandise. The store was an extensive concern, and handled all lines of merchandise, but, like all
"company stores," it was not popular with the people.
The upper floor of the building was used as a hall.
Shortly after the village began its existence it was christened Foster, in honor of E. I. Foster, of Cedar Rapids, Iowa, the principal investor in the mine enterprise. The Messrs. Phillips then retired from the concern, but Henry Phillips, who was president of the Ottumwa Supply Company, continued to run the store; not, however, in conjunction with the coal company. The building burned down two or three years later, and was never rebuilt.
A Glimpse of Foster, looking west.
While sinking the shaft in 1888 or 1889, a very unfortunate and fatal accident occurred, which attached to Mr. Phillips considerable ill feeling in the community. Mr. Phillips was running the hoisting engine, and the half of a kerosene barrel was used as a "bucket" with which to hoist the dirt. Ed. Dial and Rolla Williams, two young men working in the pit, were being hoisted in the "bucket" to the top of the ground; while ascending and passing through the curbed aperture at the top, Williams' head
struck a cross bar and he fell out of the "bucket," down to the bottom of the pit, a distance of nearly 200 feet, and was instantly killed. He was a young man of a good family and highly esteemed, and Mr. Phillips was harshly criticized,
Drug store of Woodruff & Pabst, Foster, Iowa
it being alleged that he did not slow up the engine while the men were entering the top of the pit. A civil suit followed, being instituted by W. D. Kinser, administrator
of the estate of the deceased, and a small amount of damages was
awarded the plaintiff.
Foster now contains about 800 population, the figures varying, according to the state of activity of the mines.
In October, 1891, G. W. Bever, of Cedar Rapids, invested in the mine, and the company was reorganized with E. I. Foster president and Chas. Fugle manager. The firm name was changed to that of the Deep Vein Coal Company, and under that name it is at present incorporated. The plant has a capacity of 1000 tons of coal daily, but from 500 to 700 tons is its usual output.
Deep Vein Coal Company's works, Foster, Iowa
The company originally purchased 320 acres of coal land, paying about $40 per acre for it. Since then it has acquired nearly that much more, but has sold a considerable portion of its surface, retaining only the coal. The company at the present time has removed 30 per cent of the coal from underneath its tract. The mine is ventilated by a fan, which forces down 40,000 cubic feet of air per
minute. The coal is a superior grade of steam coal, and the
output is sold in Iowa, Minnesota, and Dakota.
Most of the buildings in Foster are owned by the Foster Land and Town lot Company, a corporation said by the incorporators to be distinct and separate from the coal company. Both concerns, however, bear the same date of organization, and E. I. Foster is president of each. Some of the coal land lately purchased was bought by the Foster Land and Town lot Company, and the coal company mines the coal.
The population of Foster is largely made up of English and Welsh. There are also a number of Swedes, and a few Italians and Scotch. The Welsh are fine singers, and many of them are intemperate. The Italians are quiet and peaceable, but are fond of their beer. They are quite social among themselves, and about every Saturday night congregate around a keg of beer. They drink and sing all night, but do not affiliate with Scotch, Welsh, and English.
The Swedes are much more quiet, and at the same time more temperate. Those who do drink, however, get a quantity of raw alcohol, sweeten it, and dilute it with hot water, drinking it hot. This is the Swede's national drink. The Scotchman drinks anything, from bay rum to whisky, and never gets enough.
Taken on the whole, they are all a jovial set of fellows, and the better one gets acquainted with them the more he likes them. They lead uncertain lives in the mines, and every miner of ten or twenty years' experience has had his injuries and miraculous escapes. Foster is an incorporated town and is an excellent trading point; and boasts of a baseball team of considerable local fame.
The Foster Cornet Band ranks as one of the best in the State of Iowa. Mr. Hughes, the pit boss of the mines, is a lover of music himself, and has had opportunity to draw to Foster some of the best band players in the country.
A good band player - and there are some good ones among the miners - can always secure work in the Foster mines through Mr. Hughes. Following are the names of the members of the Foster Band: Samuel Webb, conductor; Thos. Berdinner, clarionet; Samuel Webb, solo clarionet; Robt. Dalzel, first cornet; Jas. Dazel, solo clarionet; Winter Giles, E flat cornet; Joseph Thomas, first alto; Harry Webb, second alto; John Marshall, first trombone; John Caldwell,
C., M. & St. Paul Railway trestle, Foster, Iowa
second trombone; Robt. Muffit, third trombone; Wm. Dalzel,
euphonium; Chris. Thomley, B flat bass; Jack Webb, E flat bass; John Dalzel, E
flat bass; Geo. Saunders, bass drum; James Kennedy, snare drum; Robert Hughes,
Foster at present contains the following business firms:
Deep Vein Coal Company
Hilton Coal Company, whose plant is near Hilton, but whose headquarters are at Foster.
Chamberlin & Carson, general merchandise.
R. M. Bixby, hardware and tinware.
Mrs. Treat, confectionery.
Rowles & Hickenlooper, general merchandise.
Wilson Brothers, general merchandise.
G. W. Buck, meat market.
Rupert Brothers, grocers.
Trussell & Eslinger, lumber, implements, hardware, and banking.
Wm. Miller, general merchandise, restaurant, and livery.
Mrs. Frances Jones, hotel
Mrs. Bowley, hotel and boarding house.
McCoy Brothers, livery and draying.
- - Furgason, racket store.
Woodruff & Pabst, drugs and stationers. (See further mention near end of this volume.)
Alex Reed, barber.
Richard Williams, justice of the peace.
Frank Hawk, Mayor and postmaster.
C. P. Jones, blacksmith and wagonmaker.
Blucher Hutchins, blacksmith.
J. H. Treat, coal company blacksmith.
Foster has two churches, with a large membership in each. They are the Baptists and Methodists. The Baptists erected a commodious church edifice in 1891-2. It burned in 1894, and in 1895 a new structure was completed, which is a handsomer building than the first, and would be a credit to any locality. They also built a parsonage for their pastor.
Foster is twenty three miles southwest of Ottumwa. There is an unlimited supply of coal in the vicinity, and it is quite probable that other coal enterprises will soon spring up.
This village is one of the oldest hamlets in
the county. It was named in honor of Theophilus Blake, who, with Cyrus Vancleve,
laid out the town in 1850. The greater portion of the town lies in Wapello
The first white woman who ever resided in Blakesburg, or on the spot where the town now stands, was a Mrs. Smith, who, on the death of her husband, married Len Daggett. She lived on the present site of Blakesburg a whole year before she saw another white woman. Some
of Mrs. Smith's children and grandchildren still live in Urbana
Township. She was the grandmother of Elmer Thayer's present wife.
Since the C., M. & St. Paul Railway was
built through the town, it has grown considerably, and large shipments of live
stock are made all the year round.
Blakesburg is growing rapidly and the town is surrounded by a prosperous community. A handsome $3,000 school building is now in process of erection, besides other
Street in Blakesburg
building improvements. The town has about 400 inhabitants, and
it is not an incorporated village. There are large bodies of coal lying along
Avery Creek, two or three miles north of the town, which, when developed, will
doubtless make the town one of considerable importance.
Following is a list of the business firms doing business in Blakesburg in 1896.
G. L. Redmon, restaurant; in business three years.
L. Campbell & Son, druggists; in business four years.
M. H. Abernathy, general merchandise; in
business three years.
C. N. Thompson, meat market; in business twenty six years.
Wm. Angel, hotel; in business two months.
Wilson & Durby, general merchandise; just beginning business.
Frank Fritz, hardware; in business two year.
Wm. Fritz & Brother, general merchandise, lumber and implements; in business ten years.
Wm. Rowe, blacksmith; in business sixteen years.
Chas. Reading, blacksmith; in business sixteen years.
Geo. Chedister, barber; in business three years.
A. V. Tinsley, livery; in business four years.
David Zigler, saw and planing mills; in business five years.
W. H. Kolman, hardware; in business three years.
Henry Weidman, boots and shoes; in business seven years.
Mrs. Harrington, hotel; in business one year.
John F. Lober, harness and groceries; in business seven years.
Mrs. Semiramis Barnes, a young widowed lady, has held the office of postmistress during the Cleveland administration. Blakesburg, in this particular, has been most fortunate, as the present postmistress' predecessor was a young lady, Miss Effie Reading.
Blakesburg has two churches and three doctors. Dr. C. N. Udell is one of the most successful practioners in Monroe and Wapello counties. He is also a preacher, politician, writer, philosopher and sage. Drs. Ray and Torrence are each skillful physicians.
The Baptist church built an edifice two years ago, and has about 30 members. Rev. Garrison is in charge. The Methodist Episcopal Church erected a building about eight years ago. Its membership is about half a hundred. Rev. Ingham is in charge of the congregation at present.
Hilton was originally a flag station about midway between Albia and Moravia on the C. M. & A. Railway. It contained a post office, and in 1893 or 1894 H. Herrington started a small store and ran it for a year or more. At
present time there is a prospect of the place taking a boom, as
a coal company has secured an option on a large body of coal land in the
vicinity, comprising 400 acres, which by thorough drilling was found to contain
on an average five feet of coal, at a depth of 215 feet, where the shaft is
located. The present shaft has a capacity of 300 tons daily.
The company is known as the Hilton Coal Company, with headquarters at Foster. The company's lands abut against the Iowa Central Railway. The town has been platted, and already contains seven houses. The company was incorporated January 1, 1896, with a capital of $25,000, $4,000 of which has been paid in. L. A. Chamberlin is president, A. L. Wright vice president, and A. R. Chamberlin treasurer. The present town plat is about a half-mile east of the station or platform.
Melrose has about 500 population, and is
fifteen miles west of Albia on the C., B. & Q. Railway. It is situated in
the midst of a Catholic community, and the name itself has an Irish ring to it,
The site of Melrose was first claimed by John Drew, in 1847; but the town was not laid out until 1866.
In 1857 the first school was taught in the town by Sarah Prindle, and the next year a commodious schoolhouse was built. The first store was started by T. C. Stewart in 1860. In 1861 the post office was established, with J. D. S. Peacock as postmaster.
Among the earlier settlers were A. D. Brown, J. P. Currier, T. C. Stewart, J. Davenport, John McCoy, Adam Youtsey, Wm. Gilbert, Willis Gilbert, Wm. Bernard, J. Robinson, Pat Coady, and Orson Glass.
Following is an enumeration of the business firms of Melrose in 1896:
Sumner Smith, notary, pension agent, and insurance; in business twenty two years.
W. R. Briles & Company (W. R. Briles and D. Riordan), druggists and pharmacists; in business four years.
Jas. Duggan, postmaster and merchant; in business since 1881.
Thomas Brandon, banker; established in 1881.
L. Lemly & Son, hardware and farm implements; in business five years.
Geo. Sone, breeder and importer of
Wm. Ford, blacksmithing; in business twenty two years.
F. L. Sailing, harnessmaker.
M. D. Sullivan, general merchandise and justice of the peace; in business sixteen years.
J. C. O'Conner, druggist; oldest druggist in Monroe County - in business twenty five years.
A. G. Paschal & Son, general merchandise; in business fifteen years.
W. S. Currey, groceries, boots and shoes; in business one year.
Cleveland Hotel, Mrs. S. W. Albert, proprietor; in business ten years.
Providence Hotel, P. G. Dever, proprietor; in business two years.
J. P. Currier & Son, meat market and grain; in business four years.
Western Exchange Hotel, C. H. Whelan, proprietor.
Mary Heffron, Millinery and dressmaking.
Riordan & Blair, in business two years.
A. O. Lee, lumber; in business thirty years.
Wm. Lahart, general merchandise; in business twenty years.
P. C. Murphy, bakery and confections.
W. W. O'Bryan, attorney at law and notary.
This hamlet is seven miles north of Melrose,
and contains the principal Catholic church in Monroe County.
East of Stacyville, three miles, is the hamlet of Georgetown, and Tyrone is south of Georgetown and nine miles west of Albia.
West of Albia three miles are located the once bustling coal mines known as Cedar Mines, now about extinct. The Cedar Valley and Albia coal companies had their plants here.
This village is located on the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railway, about four miles east of the town of Avery, and about two miles south of what was once the village of "Business Corners." The town was laid out by Messrs.
Hale and Hamilton when the railroad was built. The place was
named in honor of Frederick Joy, a former president of the B. & M. Railroad.
The village contains perhaps 150 people, and those engaged at present in business are:
Hawthorn & Hansel, general merchandise; in business six months.
S. A. Worley, blacksmithing and implement dealer; in business four years.
Akers Grocery Company, general merchandise; in business three years.
Reeves & Company, general merchandise; in business two years.
Grove Brothers, general merchandise; in business twenty eight years.
Frederic Coal Company, controlled by Chas. Akers, who has an option on the plant and eighty acres of land.
The town of Hiteman is the largest town in
Monroe County outside of Albia. At present (1896) the place contains a
population of between 1400 and 1500, and is situated on Cedar Creek, six miles
northwest of Albia. The town was platted September 1, 1890. The location is
broken and was selected more to suit the convenience of the Wapello Coal Company
than with a view to symmetry or beauty. The population is made up almost
exclusively of miners. They consist of Americans, English, Welsh, Swedes,
Scotch, Germans and negroes. The negro population occupy the southern part of
Those engaged in business in Hiteman in July, 1896, were:
W. A. Dovenspike, Hiteman Hotel; in business two years.
Wm. Morrissey, postmaster.
Dr. McFall, physician; in business two years.
B. O. Meadows, barber; in business two years.
Hiteman Supply Company, J. P. Early, manger; in business six years.
Sam White, blacksmith and wagon maker; in business one and one half years.
Wm. Kennedy, livery; in business two and one half years.
Wapello Coal Company; in business six years.
J. W. Loach, restaurant and bakery; in business two years.
Drs. Avery and Palmquest, physicians; Dr. Avery has been located three years, and Dr. Palmquest three months.
Mrs. Olive James, millinery and dressmaking; in business four years.
Dr. W. O. McFall, physician; in business three years.
Dr. Fred A. Poligue, physician; in business one year.
The fraternal institutions are well represented.
Wapello Coal Company works, Albia, Iowa.
In 1893 the Freemasons established a lodge,
known as Perfect Square Lodge, No. 526. Thos. Bridges is at present worshipful
master; Sam'l Chase, senior warden; Owen Reese, junior warden; J. W. Lewis,
treasurer; W. F. Narber, secretary; J. J. Davis, senior deacon; David Jeffreys,
junior deacon; W. H. Thomas, senior steward; Alf. Neighbors, junior steward; W.
L. Morgan, tyler. The order has no building, but has a lease on the I. O. O. F.
The Knights of Pythias brought their organization from Kirksville, Iowa, and have been firmly established in Hite-
man ever since. Their organization is styled Richland Lodge, No.
151. They have 108 members.
The Odd Fellows organized in 1894. They have 79 members, and their lodge is known as the Hiteman Lodge, No. 548. The present officers are: J. H. Nelson, N. G.; Ed. C. Moses, vice grand; J. H. McAuley, recording secretary; Peter N. Swanson, permanent secretary; and Wm. Wild, treasurer. The Odd Fellows have a large two story frame building nearly completed. The lower floor will constitute an opera hall, and the upper one will be fitted up for a lodge room. The hall is 86x36 feet in dimensions.
The Hiteman Supply Company is by far the most extensive mercantile firm in Monroe County. The concern was incorporated in 1890, and is in reality an auxiliary of the Wapello Coal Company. It is a corporate concern, with an authorized capital stock of $50,000, and has issued stock to the amount of $30,000. J. C. Peasley, president of the Wapello Coal Company, is president of Hiteman Supply Company, H. L. Waterman is vice president, S. A. Corey, secretary and treasurer, J. P. Early manager, and O. L. Canning cashier. The following persons assist as salesmen: Chris. Peterson, John Spar, Miss Henrietta Dinsmore, John Morgan, Thos. Barker, Ed. Early, W. S. Scott, and I. T. Williams. The store building is 48x96 feet in dimensions, and the firm handles every line of goods from lumber to nutmegs.
The Wapello Coal Company was incorporated in 1880, with an authorized capital stock of $900,000, but only $730,000 has been issued. J. C. Peasly, of Chicago, is president, H. L. Waterman vice president, and H. E. Jarvis, of Burlington, secretary. The company owns about 5,500 acres of coal land in the vicinity, which cost the company about $24 per acre on an average. The workable coal averages 5 feet in thickness, and the company has removed about 10 per cent of its coal. The C., B. & Q. Railway consumes the entire output of the plant. The company has paid to its employees during the present year $250,000, and the average net earnings of a miner is about $500 per year. The shaft is 160 feet in depth, and there are about 450 men employed in the mines.
Only one vein of coal is worked at Hiteman. The daily capacity of the plant is 1,000 tons, and the daily output averages about 800 tons. The company have a "tail rope" system in the mines, and have two fans for ventilation purposes.
The fans send down about 90,000 cubic feet of air per minute.
The following persons have charge of the mines: Phil Waterman and his father, Sen. H. L. Waterman, civil engineers; mechanical engineers, John Zentz and Thomas McGuire; hoisting engineer, L. S. Cousins; pit boss, W. B. Powell; inside foremen, Wm. Barkwell and Owen Reese; top boss, Mark Greeley; blacksmiths, R. D. Morgan and A. L. Hirst.
The company contemplates sinking another shaft this year, about a mile north of the present one, and similar to it in extent and plan.
Wherever there is a mining camp there is a large Welsh population. In a camp of say 1000 population there are about a half dozen different families by the name of Thomas; then there are about an equal number of James, Morgans, Lewises, Williamses, Reeses, Hugheses, Llewellyns, and Joneses; these are all names very common among the Welsh. On account of so many different families bearing the same name, it is customary in Wales, in writing a person's name, to affix to his name the first name of his father, and to that of his father, the name of his father. For instance in writing John Morgan's name the Welsh word "ap" follows it, "ap" meaning "son of" - thus, John Morgan ap Gomer ap Owen; Gomer and Owen being the father and grandfather, respectively, of John Morgan. Wherever these Welsh names are found in a community you may expect a musical neighborhood. The towns of Hiteman and Foster contain a large number of very fine singers, some of whom have been educated in some of the best musical schools in Europe. For several years the Hiteman Glee Club has maintained the reputation of being one of the best glee clubs in the State.
The town supports a very fine band. Following is a list of the members: Jas. Amsbury, leader; Wm. Phillips, cornet; P. C. Williams, clarionet; Hugh Williams, alto; Geo. Darby, alto; Henry Longacre, trombone; John Neighbor, trombone; Frank Laundeen, 2d cornet; Jack Cooper, tuba; Jack O'Holland, bass drum; Lincoln Hirst, 2d cornet; Thos. Williams, snare drum; Andrew Johnson, tuba; Jas. Wild, baritone; Wm. Morrissey, B bass.
In 1892 the School Board of Hiteman built a nice frame school house. The main building is 30x60 feet, with a wing 26x36 feet.
Hiteman contains six church organizations -
viz., the Baptist, Congregational, Swedish Lutheran, Swedish Methodist, Welsh
Baptist, and Colored Baptist.
The Baptists organized and built a church structure in 1894. The building is 28x60 feet. Rev. McDowell organized the congregation.
The Congregational Church was organized by Rev. Wm. Thomas, and a church edifice erected in 1892. The church is made up largely of Welsh, and the present membership is about forty. Rev. Owen Thomas, the present pastor, has been preaching for the class for two years.
The Swedish Lutheran Church was organized in 1893. They have a small church edifice. Rev. B. M. Glyn is the present pastor. He also conducts a day school, teaching the Swedish language.
The Swedish Methodists were organized by Rev. Ericson in 1892. He has charge of the congregation at present. This organization has about 30 members. They own a church building, 18x28 feet.
The Welsh Baptists built a church in 1892, 16x20 feet in dimensions. Their organization contains about twenty five members. Rev. D. R. Morgan is their pastor.
The Colored Baptists organized in 1890. They consist of about 15 members.
But the one institution of the town which inspires the citizens of Hiteman with intense pride is the Hiteman Baseball Nine. It swathes the town in a flood of glory, and the first thing the citizen speaks about, in welcoming a visitor to the place, is the immortal nine. He will tell you that the club have lost but two games in two years. The roster of this glorious band is as follows: Dr. McFall, manager; Wm. Everett, captain; Wes Bladgett, pitcher; Henry Dinsmore, right field; Jas. L. Baxter, center field; Edmund Thomas, left field; Roe Torrence, first base; Wm. Tiley, second base; and Wm. Stephenson, third base.