When the county was first organized, it was
under the triumvirate of three officers, known as the Board of County
Commissioners. Their duties were restricted mainly to the organizing of
townships within the county, the laying out of town plats, the location of
public highways, the levying of taxes, the canvass of election returns, and the
auditing of public claims and accounts. Their duties were identical with those
of the Board of Supervisors of the present day. Their tax levies were not
burdensome, as will be seen by the action of their meeting of August 20, 1848:
"Ordered, That there be levied a tax of 5 mills upon all the taxable property of Kishkekosh County; a tax of 1/2 mill for Territorial purposes, subject to the order of the Legislature of the Territory, and also a poll tax of 50 cents upon every male person in the county subject to a poll tax."
W. G. Clark was the first man to be elected to a public office in the county. He was elected justice of the peace in August, 1844.
Following is a list of County Commissioners given in the order of their election from 1845 to 1851, when their office was discontinued: Joseph McMullen, Jas. S. Bradley, Moses H. Clark, Jeremiah Miller, clerk; Wm. McBride, Andrew Elswisk, Smith Judson, Dudley C. Barber, clerk; Andrew Elswick, Wm. McBride, Geo. R. Holliday, Smith Judson, Geo. Golliday, John Clark, Geo. R. Holliday, John Clark, and Lewis Arnold. Geo. W. Piper was clerk from 1849 to 1851.
From 1851 to 1861 the county was under the rule of an autocracy, consisting of a single officer, called the County Judge. Those who served as County Judges were D. A. Richardson and James Hilton. In 1855 J. N. Massey was elected to the office, but it was decided that he was ineligible to the office, owing to the fact that when elected he held the office of School fund Commissioner. John Phillips was his opponent, and as he was also incumbered with a Federal office, being postmaster of Albia, the office was declared vacant, and Judge Richardson held over. The case was contested by John Webb, and Judge Richardson, Lewis Arnold
and Hillah Hayes constituted the tribunal to try the case.
held that the office was vacant.
It was during Judge Hilton's term that the construction of Monroe County's present court house was begun. There was considerable opposition to its construction at the time, and especially to its location in the town park, which did not comprise a part of the town plat set apart for public buildings. Judge Hilton, however, bluntly ordered the structure built in the center of the park, and the order was obeyed.
The Monroe County Courthouse
The Sentinel, at the time stated that two designs of architecture were submitted, and that the design chosen by Judge Hilton was the worse of the two, being after the architecture of the Tudors. In later years it seems that none of the county's citizens have ever refused to become an occupant of the building on account the alleged medieval style of architecture. The average office seeker does not seem to care whether the style of the building is Ionic, Doric, Tuscan, or medieval, so long as he gets a chance to occupy the building.
In 1861 the office of County Judge was
abolished by an act of the Legislature, and another Supervisor system adopted.
It consisted of one member from each of the twelve townships.
Those who served as members from 1861 to 1871, when the plan was further changed so that the number of members was restricted to three, as at the present time, were as follows, serving in the order of their enumeration:
1861: J. M. Richardson, William Mercer, Sebastian Streeter, Warren L. Rall, D. J. Prayther, John Kirby, John Clark, John McFarland, Hiram Hough, W. G. Clark, W. A. Lamaster, John Hayes.
1862: R. W. Moss, C. L. Osburn, H. Hough, J. McFarland, Wm. Mercer, Samuel Richmond, D. J. Prayther, Michael Campbell, John Clark, T. C. Crouch, W. A. Lamaster, J. R. Stock.
1863: R. W. Moses, Joseph Robb, C. C. Osburn, Lot King, Henry Freeland, M. Campbell, John Clark, W. F. Walker, Hiram Hough, T. C. Crouch, W. A. Lamaster, J. R. Stock.
1864: Wareham G. Clark, R. W. Moss, Joseph Robb, C. C. Osburn, Lot King, H. Freeland, W. B. Hill, W. A. Dean, G. W. Gammond, W. A. Lamaster, J. R. Stock, W. F. Walker.
1865: Washington Atkins, H. Fullerton, C. C. Osburn, R. M. Thompson, W. H. H. Lind, W. B. Hill, W. A. Dean, J. L. Anderson, S. G. Finney, W. G. Clark, W. A. Lamaster, J. R. Stock.
1866: W. V. Beedle, H. Fullerton, T. H. Duncan, R. M. Thompson, W. H. H. Lind, L. McGuirk, W. A. Dean, J. L. Anderson, S. G. Finney, O. P. Rowles, W. A. Lamaster, J. R. Hurford.
1867: W. V. Beedle, S. Wyckoff, T. H. Duncan, D. Cross, Wm. Kelsey, L. McGuirk, John Clark, J. McCormick, S. G. Finney, O. P. Rowles, W. A. Lamster, J. R. Hurford.
1868: J. R. Hurford, Wm. Kelsey, G. W. Grass, S. Wyckoff, R. A. Hewitt, D. Cross, L. McGuirk, John Clark, J. McCormick, S. G. Finney, Jas. Hilton, W. A. Lamaster.
1869: Lewis Henninger, H. R. Teller, J. Findlay, Jr., J. S. Hogleland, Wm. Jenkins, L. McGuirk, W. R. Ross, Samuel Bain, S. G. Finney, Jas. Hilton, W. A. Lamaster, J. R. Hurford.
1870: Lewis Henninger, H. R. Teller, J. Findlay, Jr.
J. S. Hogeland, Wm. Jenkins, L. McGuirk, W. R. Ross, Samuel
Bain, G. W. Reading, W. D. Kinser, W. A. Lamaster, V. G. Kemper.
The members of the present system were:
1871: H. R. Teller, P. T. Lambert, and C. A. Miller.
1872: John Clark, H. R. Teller, and C. A. Miller.
1873: John Clark, C. A. Miller, and Wm. Hardy.
1874: John Clark, J. B. Bell, and H. L. Vosburg.
1875: John Clark, H. L. Vosburg, and Wm. Mercer.
1876: John Clark, H. L. Vosburg, and Joseph Nichol.
1877: John Clark, Joseph Nichol, and T. B. O'Bryan.
1878: Joseph Nichol, Val Fuller, and T. B. O'Bryan.
1879: Val Fuller, T. B. O'Bryan, and David Hammond.
1880: Val Fuller, J. R. Hurd, and Thos. O'Bryan.
1881: J. R. Hurd, Thos. O'Bryan, and David Hammond.
1882: J. R. Hurd, David Hammond, and Geo. Kerr.
1883: J. R. Hurd, Thos. O'Bryan, and Wm. Mercer.
1884: W. A. Koontz, Thos. O'Bryan, and J. B. Castner.
1885: Herman Snow, Thos. O'Bryan, and J. B. Castner.
1886: J. B. Castner, John Walsh, and Herman Snow.
1887: John Walsh, Herman Snow, and Edward Canning.
1888: John Walsh, Edward Canning, and Henry Berry.
1889: Edward Canning, Henry Berry, and William Lahart.
1890: Henry Berry, William Lahart, and Edward Canning.
1891: William Lahart, Henry Berry, and Edward Canning.
1892: Edward Canning, Henry Berry, and William Lahart.
1893: Henry Berry, William Lahart, and Geo. L. Robb.
1894: Geo. L. Robb, Elmer Thayer, and Wm. Lahart.
1895: Geo. L. Robb, Elmer Thayer, and J. C. Currier.
1896: Elmer Thayer, J. C. Currier, and Wm. Davis.
Mr. Kerr died soon after election, and Wm. Mercer was elected to fill the vacancy.
John Clark, 1845; Ezra P. Coen, 1847; D. Durall, 1851; Willis Arnold, 1853; John M. Porter, 1855; E. R. Rockwell, 1857; Riley Wescoatt, 1859; E. P. Coen, 1861; A. J. McDonald, 1865; J. M. Robb, 1871; Sam'l F. Miller, 1877.
When the Monroe County Bank went down, October 11, 1882, Sheriff Miller was involved in the affair in some manner, and resigned the office of Sheriff. The County Board of Supervisors appointed Martin Clever to fill the unexpired portion of his term up to the time for holding the general election, when P. L. Hoskins was elected for the remainder of the vacant term.
J. P. Lamberson, Ex sheriff of Monroe County
John M. Menan was elected in 1884, but was
incompetent to fill the office and resigned. The County Board appointed W. W.
O'Bryan to fill the vacancy up to election, and J. W. Lewis was elected to fill
the remaining portion of the vacancy.
L. T. Richmond served one term, in 1886; C. M. Forest then served two terms, and J. P. Lamberson served two terms.
The next is the present incumbent, Captain John Doner, who was elected in November, 1895, on the Populist ticket. He was elected in the face of a heavy Republican majority in the county, given to other nominees.
The office of Probate Judge was consolidated with that of County Judge, when the County Commissioner system
was abandoned. After this change had taken place, there were
three Judges elected. The entire list of these Judges was: W. G. Clark, 1845;
Geo. W. Reading, 1847; W. P. Hammond, 12862; A. A. Mason, 1863; Geo.
The emoluments of the office were not quite so distinguished as those which attach to the title of a judge of the present day, but each official contrived to cling to the title, and for all intents and purposes it is just as good a title socially as if prefixed to the name of a member of the Supreme Court.
Clerks of Court
Jas. Hilton, 1845; Jonas Wescoatt, 1848; Jacob Webb, 1850; S. E. L. Moore, 1854; Sam'l Buchanan, 1856; W. E. Neville, 1858; Henry Miller, 1860; Josiah T. Young, 1867; John W. H. Griffin, 1873; Henry McCahan, 1896.
Henry L. Dashiell held the office of Circuit Judge from 1869 to 1873.
On the suspension of the office of Probate Judge, in 1868, the office of Auditor was created to take its place. Geo. Hickenlooper, who was Probate Judge when the Auditor's office was created, performed the Auditor's duties for one year; Samuel T. Craig then held the office until December 30, 1877; John W. Moss succeeded to the office in 1878; Edward A. Canning, 1883; A. J. Cassaday, 1885; J. W. Van Gilder, 1887; John R. Clark, 1892; B. P. Castner, 1894 to 1896.
T. G. Templeton, 1845; C. W. Anderson, 1846; John Webb, 1855; D. A. Noble, 1856; John M. Wilson, 1860; John R. Duncan, 1862; Harrison Hickenlooper, 1866; John R. May, 1870; Harrison Hickenlooper, 1874; Edward McDonald, 1876; John W. Moss, 1880; David Hammond, 1885; John C. Coffman, 1889; John M. M. Roberts, 1895-6.
In 1865 the office of Recorder was created. Prior to that time the functions of the Recorder were performed by the
Treasurer. John R. duncan, who was Treasurer when the change was made, held the office of Recorder until 1867, when Jas. Coen was elected in that year; Calvin Barnard, 1869; J. R. Castle, 1875; C. W. Prindle, 1878; Ed. I. Ramsay, 1880; Boyd Miller, 1887; Ed. I. Ramsay, 1891; John Morrissey, 1894; Robt. Clapp, 1896.
Wm. E. Elder, Ex Superintendent of Schools of Monroe County
Samuel Adams, 1855; E. M. Bills, 1856; J. W. H. Griffin, 1865; W. A. Nichol, 1869; Thos. Kelly, 1872; A. J. Cassaday, 1875; Wm. E. Elder, 1879; H. J. Bell, 1881; D. W. Nevins, 1890; A. J. Henderson, 1894; Mrs. Angie Reitzel, 1896.
In 1896 the office of the County Attorney was
created. Prior to that time the Prosecuting Attorney's jurisdiction was
with that of the judicial district, but it was found expedient to institute a
change, owing to the increase of official duties devolving on the district
Those who have occupied the position in Monroe County are: Ed. Morrison, 1887; Fred Townsend, 1891; N. E. Kendall, 1896.
The office of Coroner in the earlier period of Monroe County's history was rather an intermittent one. Some times an officer was elected, and at other times the place was vacant, in which latter case the Sheriff was supposed to attend to any duties pertaining to the holding of inquests. Some of those who have served as Coroner were: John Webb, Dr. Moses Cousins, Casper Dull, Jacob Webb, Wm. Webb, Maurice O'Connell, and Dr. Gray, the present incumbent.
Monroe County in the General Assembly
Monroe County was represented in the State
Senate by Jas. Davis, Barney Royston, H. B. Hendershot, D. Anderson, Warren S.
Dungan, W. C. Shippen, E. M. bills, Martin Read, A. C. Reck, H. L. Dashiell, A.
A. Ramsay, Dr. Cassatt, and T. B. Perry, the present Senator, elected from the
Monroe Marion district.
In the House by Chas. Anderson, Wm. M. Allison, N. B. Preston, Henry Allen, M. A. Goodfellow, Samuel Gossage, John Reitzel, L. O. Haskell, O. P. Rowles, John Clark, H. L. Dashiell, A. A. Ramsay, B. F. Elbert, Jas. Hilton, L. O. Haskell, A. M. Giltner, R. W. Duncan, J. M. Robb, Jas. Hogeland, A. A. Ramsay, J. C. robinson, Austin Jay, and D. H. Scott.
Monroe County Agricultural Society
In a financial sense, the Monroe County Agricultural
Society never prospered.
The society was organized in 1853, and the officers were Joseph Sherod, president; Wm. Robinson, vice president; V. K. Read, secretary.
In 1858 Elisha Hollingshead was made president; and Lewis Arnold, John Castle, Sr., W. W. Fall, E. P. Cone,
Michael Lower, J. W. Boyd, Andrew Lamaster, Gordon Pike, John
Walker, D. Gladson, W. H. H. Lind, and Jonathan Hancock were made vice
presidents. P. T. Lambert was corresponding secretary and J. M. Humphrey
recording secretary; John Clark was elected treasurer.
In 1886 the society reorganized as a corporate body, so as to receive the annual fund appropriated by the State to the agricultural societies of the various counties in the State.
Hon. Austin Jay, Ex representative of Monroe County
In 1885 or 1886 the Society ceased to hold its annual fairs and since then the organization has dissolved as a corporate body. The grounds on which the fairs were held, situated about a mile northeast of Albia, are now owned by Mr. Geo. Walton, and the inclosing wall has nearly all fallen down. The first county fairs were held in Mock's addition to the city of Albia, just north of Dr. Gutch's present residence.
The Albia Post Office
As in all other cities and towns on the face
of the earth where there is a postal system, the Albia post office has been a
bone of contention on every change of administration. It is the highest
persimmon growing on the local tree of party patronage, and he who wields the
longest partisan pole invariably knocks off the coveted fruit. Usage and the
finesse of political party management have established a sort of "order of
succession" governing the aspirant's heirship to the post office.
The "heir apparent" is in most cases the publisher of the administration party organ of the town or county in which the post office is situated. He is not only supposed to have the "pull" on the Congressman of the district, but is usually the chairman of the county central committee - the fountain head from which source all advantages in the contest flow. The chairman of the county committee makes the recommendation to the State committee chairman, or to the member of Congress, and if the county chairman wants the post office - which he invariably does - he recommends himself, if he is a shrewd diplomat. There is only one rule in the game under which this move can be check mated. If the publisher of the paper has no office, and wants the post office - the central committee man cannot place himself in check with the publisher by recommending himself. The "divine rights" of these two individuals are vested in the equity of rewarding the newspaper man for the martyrdom he has suffered in behalf of his party, and in the case of the committee man, for his faithful stewardship as a party worker.
Thus it is that the office is seldom bestowed on a citizen on the basis of genuine merit and business capacity. This is why the impracticable plan of electing postmaster by popular vote is so often urged.
The next step towards securing the post office is to start a man around with a petition to secure the names of persons who are supposed to be desirous of having the applicant appointed. The petition states in the start that the "undersigned subscribers" are of that party persuasion to which the administration adheres, and it never omits to wind up with the assurance that for the speedy appointment of the candidate, "we, the undersigned, will ever pray." These "prayers," which are rolled in upon the Postmaster General,
are scarcely ever heard at the appointing functionary's throne
of grace, and the work of securing the signatures is usually a useless effort.
Dudley C. Barber was the first postmaster at Albia. He held the office until 1849; John Marck held until 1851; John Phillips until 1861; Wm. Collins until 1865; Jas. H. Morris until 1866; Thos. G. Craig held the office for about three months, but was superseded by Mr. Morris, who again held the office until he was succeeded by Van Mendel in 1877. In 1882 J. P. Early succeeded Mendel, and held the office until 1886. A. J. Weber, of the Albia Democrat, was appointed by the Cleveland administration, and after some months' delay in the Senate securing the confirmation of his appointment, he took the office and conducted it until 1888, when he resigned on the election of Harrison to the Presidency.
A. R. Barnes was appointed to the place under Harrison's administration, and served nearly four years, when he was bounced for "intense partisanship," by the next Cleveland administration, a few months before his commission expired.
In 1881, when President Garfield was assassinated, and Chester A. Arthur was sworn in as President, J. P. Early became an aspirant for the Albia post office, then being held by Val Mendel, who was appointed at the beginning of Hayes' term of office. M. E. Cutts, the member of Congress from the Sixth District, declined to use his influence in behalf of either party - at least, it was so understood. Mr. Mendel, however, went to Washington and learned, as he states, that Mr. Cutts never presented his petitions and endorsements to the Department. He accused Mr. Cutts of secretly furthering the interests of Mr. Early. He accused Hon. B. F. Elbert with the commission of all the alleged trickery resorted to in securing the appointment of Early.
Charges of fraud were bandied back and forth from one aspirant to the other, but the general public took little interest in the matter, and cared still less which man got the office. Both were popular men in the county, and each represented a distinct faction of the Republican party in the county.
In this connection it may not be out of place to note the lack of unity of the Republican party in Monroe County.
which has existed for some years, and which exists at the
present day. Sometimes this spirit of dissension is so bitter that it has more
than once proven the instrument of bringing defeat to the party.
On the beginning of Mr. Harrison's term of the Presidency, Mr. Early and A. R. Barnes were aspirants for the post office. Both men secured a formidable list of subscribers to their respective petitions. The contest waxed so warm that Mr. Lacy, the member of congress from the Sixth District, declined to discriminate in behalf of either contestant, and finally settled the dispute by visiting Albia and inducing the interested parties to toss up a coin to end the contest. They tossed, and Mr. Barnes won the place. To alleviate Mr. Early's probable disappointment, Mr. Lacey secured for him a Federal appointment as a special land agent in the West. He resigned the place some time later.
This latter contest has promoted some discord in the Republican ranks in the county, which continues to the present time, and will no doubt be revived and heightened should a Republican President be elected next November, calling forth the appointment of another postmaster for Albia. Mr. Barnes, it is understood, is already in the field, anticipating the election of Mr. McKinley to the Presidency.